- orders that we fulfill for our partners;
- our surveys and other consumer research activities;
- our promotions, sweepstakes, and contests;
- our marketing activities, including when you sign up for our newsletters;
- our State of Harmony Concierge service; and
- our social media accounts.
We refer to our activities described above collectively as the "Services".
- What Personal Information Does State of Harmony Collect and How
Information You Provide to Us. Personal information you may provide to us through the Service or otherwise includes:
- Contact Data, such as your first and last name, email address, billing and mailing addresses, and phone number when you purchase products or services from us (including at a State of Harmony retail store or through a State of Harmony website), contact us through State of Harmony Concierge, or when you create an online account with us.
- Profile Data, such as your username and password that you set to establish an online account with us, age, date of birth, gender, biographical details, photos, saved items in “My List”, links to your profiles on various third-party sites including social networks, interests, preferences, and information about your participation in our events, promotions, sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Research Data that you provide when you agree to participate in our surveys or research activities (including the Research Community), such as your survey responses, profession, interviews, workshops, and audio and/or video that we record about you or captures of your device’s screen in relation to such surveys and research activities.
- Payments and Transactional Data, such as the information needed to complete your orders on or through the Service (including name, credit card information, bank account number, billing and shipping information), and your purchase history.
- Marketing Data, such as your preferences for receiving communications about our products, services, events, promotions and newsletters and similar messages, and details about how you engage with our communications.
- Job Application Data, such as professional credentials and skills, educational and work history, LinkedIn profile page, personal website, authorization to work in Canada, immigration status, criminal history, and other information that may be included on a resume or curriculum vitae as well as in a cover letter. This may also include diversity information that you voluntarily provide.
Third-Party Sources. We may combine personal information we receive from you with personal information we obtain from other sources, such as:
- Public Sources, such as social media platforms, publications, and news sites.
- Business and Marketing Partners, such as marketplaces including Instagram, joint marketing partners, and event co-sponsors.
- Data Providers, such as information services and data licensors provide demographic and other information about our users.
- Users of the Service, who can purchase products or services (including gift cards) for others, share a product or article with others, refer a friend, or otherwise share the contact information of others with us.
- Third-party platforms, such as social media accounts such as Facebook, that you use and choose to connect to the Service. This data may include your username, profile picture and other information associated with your account on that third-party service that is made available to us based on your account settings on that service.
Automatic Data Collection. We, our service providers, and our business partners may automatically log information about you, your computer or mobile device, and your activity over time on our websites and other sites and online services, such as:
- Device Data, such as your computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, browser type, screen resolution, IP address, unique identifiers, the website you visited before browsing our website, and general location information such as city, province or geographic area.
- Online Activity Data, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and duration of access.
- Security Camera Footage and Photos from our stores and offices.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
State of Harmony's websites, online services, email messages, and advertisements may use "cookies" and other similar technologies, such as web beacons, pixel or gif tags, and action tags. Those technologies collect information that assists the State of Harmony to improve products and services, advertising, customer communications and the shopping experience.
For example, State of Harmony may use information collected through cookies and similar technologies to recognize the user of State of Harmony's websites and supplement our profile for that user, determine a user's general location to tailor the website content to that user's location, track use of the websites, offer personalized web page content, information, and advertisements, and otherwise facilitate and improve the website experience. You may choose to decline or disable cookies if your web browser permits but doing so may affect your ability to access or use certain features of State of Harmony's websites. For more information on how to disable cookies, see Section 5 below.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit https://allaboutdnt.com/
- How State of Harmony Uses Your Personal Information
We use your personal information for the following purposes or as otherwise described at the time we collect it:
To Provide Services. We use your personal information to:
- provide, operate and improve the Service and our business;
- improve the Service and our business, including in response to trends, patterns, feedback, and sentiments expressed on social media or directly to us;
- establish and maintain your user profile on the Service, including tracking your orders and shipments and sending you reminders of items left in your shopping cart;
- remember devices from which you have previously logged in;
- communicate with you about the Service, including by sending announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the Service and our communications such as by using your location information to determine your language preferences or display accurate date and time information; and
We may combine your personal information collected through various sources, including information collected through State of Harmony's websites, and information obtained from other sources such as to enhance and personalize your shopping experience on our websites and to facilitate product returns.
Research and Development. We may use your personal information for internal research and development purposes, including to analyze and improve the Service and our business. As part of these activities, we may create aggregated, de-identified or anonymized data from the personal information we collect. We make personal information into de-identified or anonymized data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this de-identified or anonymized data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the Service and promote our business. For example, if we learn that most users use mobile devices, we might wish to expand on that feature.
Marketing and Advertising. We and our third-party advertising partners may collect and use your personal information for marketing and advertising purposes, except that such sharing with third parties does not include sharing of personal information collected through our short code text messaging programs without your consent:
- Direct Marketing. We may send you State of Harmony-related or other direct marketing communications as permitted by law. You may opt out of our marketing communications as described in the Opt-Out of Marketing Communications section below.
Manage Recruiting and Process Employment Applications. We may use personal information, such as information submitted to us in a job application, to facilitate our recruitment activities and process employment applications, such as by evaluating a job candidate for an employment activity and monitoring recruitment statistics.
Compliance and Protection. We may use your personal information to:
- comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal processes, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety, security or property (including by making and defending legal claims and security monitoring in our stores);
- audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies;
- prevent, identify, investigate, and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
- How State of Harmony Shares Your Personal Information
Suppliers and Service Providers. Companies and individuals that provide services on our behalf or help us operate the Service or our business (such as IT, hosting, payment processing services, customer relationship management and support, chat services, print and mail fulfillment, order fulfillment and shipping, data/document storage and management, email delivery, marketing, analytics, fraud detection, event management services, promotions, sweepstakes, contests and surveys).
Advertising Partners. We may share your personal information with third-party advertising companies for the interest-based advertising purposes described above.
Professional Advisors. Professional advisors, such as lawyers, accountants, auditors, bankers and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
Authorities and Others. Law enforcement, government authorities, courts, and private parties, as we believe in good faith are necessary or appropriate for the compliance and protection purposes described above.
Business Transferees. Relevant participants in business transactions (or potential transactions) involving a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization, sale or other disposition of all or any portion of the business or assets of, or equity interests in, the State of Harmony or our affiliates (including, in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Business and Marketing Partners. Third parties with whom we co-sponsor events or promotions, with whom we jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services may be of interest to you.
Other users and the public. You can choose to make some of your profile information visible to the public. Information visible to the public can be collected and used by them, including being cached, copied, screen captured or stored elsewhere (such as search engines). We are not responsible for any such use of such information.
- Your Choices
You have the following choices concerning your personal information.
Exercise Your Privacy Rights. As described in Section 9 below, you may ask to access or update your personal information that the State of Harmony has, subject to some limitations. We encourage you to review and update the information in your account before making a request.
Delete Your Profile. If you have registered for an account with us, you may delete your profile by logging into the account and selecting the “Delete my profile” option. After you delete your profile, we may continue to retain and use certain of your personal information, including for the reasons identified in the section above entitled How State of Harmony Uses Your Personal Information.
Access or Update Your Information. If you have registered for an account with us, you may review and update certain account information by logging into the account.
Cookies. Most browsers let you remove and/or stop accepting cookies from the websites you visit. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser’s settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all the functionality of the Service and it may not work properly. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your browser and how to manage and delete them, visit https://allaboutcookies.org/. We use Google Analytics, including the Google Signals feature, to help us understand user activity and patterns on the sites. You can learn more about Google Analytics cookies at https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies and about how Google protects your data at http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html. You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of our sites by downloading and installing a browser plugin available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
Local Storage. You may be able to limit use of HTML5 cookies in your browser settings. Unlike other cookies, Flash-based local storage cannot be removed or rejected via your browser settings, but you can adjust the settings of your Flash player to block it. Blocking Flash storage may impede the functionality of Flash applications, including those employed by the Service. For more information on Flash local storage visit https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html.
You can also manage your cookie preferences (including for cookies relating to advertising) by visiting our Cookie Preference Center.
Advertising Choices. You can limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by:
- Browser Settings. Blocking third-party cookies in your browser settings.
- Privacy Browsers/Plug-Ins. By using privacy browsers or ad-blocking browser plug-ins that let you block tracking technologies.
- Platform Settings. Google and Facebook offer opt-out features that let you opt-out of use of your information for interest-based advertising:
- Ad Industry Tools. Opting out of interest-based ads from companies participating in the following industry opt-out programs:
- Network Advertising Initiative: https://thenai.org/opt-out/
- Digital Advertising Alliance: https://optout.aboutads.info/?c=2&lang=EN
- AppChoices mobile app, available at https://youradchoices.com/appchoices, will allow you to opt-out of interest-based ads in mobile apps served by participating members of the Digital Advertising Alliance.
- Mobile Settings. Use your mobile device settings to limit the use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
Declining to Provide Information. We need to collect personal information to provide certain services, such as your address to ship a product. If you do not provide the information requested, we may not be able to provide those services.
Third-Party Platforms. If you choose to connect to the Service through your social media account such as Facebook, you may be able to use your settings in your account with that platform to limit the information we receive from it. If you revoke our ability to access information from a third-party platform, that choice will not apply to information that we have already received from that third party.
Please note that we also may work with companies that offer their own opt-out mechanisms or do not participate in the opt-out mechanisms described above. We have no control over those mechanisms and even after using these opt-out mechanisms, you may receive interest-based advertising from other companies.
- Social Networking, Other Sites and Services
When you use certain aspects of State of Harmony's websites or other services, or post information to other social networking sites, for example, there may be links to State of Harmony's Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram pages or you may be able to "like" a product on your Facebook account or "pin" a product on your Pinterest account, the information that you post or share in connection with these third-party sites is visible to other persons and can be read, collected, used, and disclosed by other persons, including to send unsolicited messages. In such cases, you will be leaving State of Harmony's website and going to the third party's website. These links are not an endorsement of or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. In addition, our content may be included on web pages in mobile applications or in other online services that are not associated with us. Any information you provide or post to such third-party social networking sites and other sites is governed by their privacy policies, which you may read on the applicable site. You are solely responsible for the information that you choose to post or share in those situations. State of Harmony has no control over, or responsibility or liability for the use, disclosure, and retention of the information that you disclose in those situations, and the use, disclosure, and retention of the disclosed information is not subject to this Policy. Please be careful when disclosing your information in those situations.
- Retention, Location and Security of Your Personal Information
State of Harmony retains your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, or such longer retention period as may be required or permitted by any applicable law.
The State of Harmony employs reasonable safeguards - including administrative, technical and physical measures - appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information in its possession or under its control to protect that information from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, disposal, or similar risks. While State of Harmony uses reasonable efforts to protect the integrity of its websites and the confidentiality of personal information that it processes, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, and therefore, State of Harmony cannot guarantee absolute security of your personal information.
- Cross-Jurisdictional Data Transfers
We are a Canadian company and your information submitted by you through our websites is collected and maintained in the United States, Canada and other countries, regardless of the geographic location or country where the information originated.
By providing us with personal information, you acknowledge and agree that such personal information may be transferred to other jurisdictions for processing and storage, including in servers located across Canada and in the United States, where laws regarding the protection of personal information may be less stringent than the laws in your jurisdiction. If you do not consent to your information being collected and maintained in the United States, Canada and other countries, then you should not enter such information through our websites.
Further, such personal information may be accessible to law enforcement, national security authorities, and the courts of such jurisdictions. Where necessary to make such transfers, we will comply with our legal and regulatory obligations about the personal information.
This website may be accessed by users in countries outside of Canada, however, this website is intended for use by individuals located in Canada only. We make no representations or warranties that the State of Harmony.com is appropriate or available for use in countries outside of Canada (such as laws relating to default cookie settings).
- Individual Privacy Rights
Subject to applicable exemptions and the extent permitted by applicable law, you have the following rights about the personal information we hold about you. When you exercise those rights, we may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity. We may refuse a request to access or correct it if we believe the change is prohibited or not required by law or causes the information to be incorrect. In cases of a refusal, we will provide you with an explanation of the reasons for the refusal.
(a) Right of access
Your rights to access your personal information are not absolute. Access can be denied for several different reasons under applicable legislation.
(b) Right to rectification/correction
If we hold personal information about you and you believe that it is not accurate, complete and up to date, you can request to have it rectified by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can help us maintain the accuracy and completeness of your information (including your State of Harmony website account information) by notifying us of any changes to your information. You may update your State of Harmony website account information through our websites, State of Harmony Concierge, or at a retail location.
If we discover that information is not accurate, complete, and up to date, we will take reasonable steps to rectify it. We will also send any information that has been amended, where appropriate, to any third parties that have access to the information. If we refuse a request to rectify information, we will provide reasons to you.
(c) Your right to withdraw consent
To the extent we rely on your implicit or explicit consent as our legal basis for processing your personal information, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time by contacting our team email@example.com. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. Please note that if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with a particular product or service.
- Children's Privacy
State of Harmony does not knowingly collect personal information from children who are under 14 years of age without the consent of their legal guardian. Please immediately contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe that State of Harmony has unintentionally collected personal information from a child under 14 years of age without the consent of their legal guardian. If State of Harmony learns that it has inadvertently collected personal information from a child under 14 years of age without the consent of their legal guardian, State of Harmony will use reasonable efforts to delete that information from its systems (except to the extent that retention of the personal information is required or permitted by applicable law).